Opinions wanted
The Hackney Postcards empire is slowly expanding; below is the latest addition to the line:
The opinions required are as to the caption; I've never been much in favour of the utilitarian (not to mention bloody obvious) style of 'Hackney in winter' or 'Winter in Hackney', but it's not really the place to wax poetic, and I don't know what other options there are... I could go with 'Hackney, London', but I do that all the time...
Anyway, if you HAVE an opinion, please share it; I'll be placing the order in a day or two, after which no changes will be possible. And thanks in advance for indulging me in what is, really, supremely unimportant. ;)
(Oh, and for the first time EVER I'm cheating slightly, as the photo of the berries wasn't taken in Hackney, but in Cambridge... however, we HAVE berries like that in Hackney, and they had frost on them like in the photo, but the pics just didn't end up looking as good as that one, and I need the little splash of colour it affords... I feel slightly dodgy about it, but am ignoring that for now).

7 comments:
I'm so glad you put this on your blog. I was dying to see it after you told me it was in production. I really like it - the photos you have chosen and the composition. I don't think you need to worry about the berries. It is part of poetic licence that should be afforded all artists. It does need that splash of colour and the berries are perfect. As to the caption - I first thought of "Hackney Winter" but now I think that's a bit too predictable and prefer yours instead.
Did you manage to correct your problems on the back of the card?
I guess you will think "Good old Mama she always praises everything I create" and that's true (just about) but it's because they look SO good!!
oh, you're too kind, as always :)
now you say that, I think I like 'Hackney Winter' best! funny how that happens... I'll have to make up my mind soon though :)
yes, got the back sorted, finally; even a half hour on the helpline didn't help because they had the same problem and could only tell me 'it's supposed to work' :lol:
but I found a way to trick the program into accepting a new photo for an old card, and then just edited the back accordingly :)
(I get round the berries issue there by simply saying 'private garden' which is, technically, true ;))
Hmmmm ... After sleeping on it I'm reconsidering. "Hackney Winter" does have a certain style ...
As is well known, all my poetic sensitivities were stored in my left little toenail, and unfortunately lost when I last carelessly trimmed it, so I have nothing really useful to say. : )
My first thought was to do something a little more poetic - phrases like "the lion in winter" and "the third day the frost" and words like "white", "ice", and "snow" lurched across my unstable mind, but I was unable to turn any of them to good effect - "Hackney under snow", "white Hackney" (???), etc, just didn't work.
So this morning I thought maybe "Winter in Hackney" was probably best. Or would you prefer the doggerel: "2 degrees below at night and Hackney is blanketed in white"?
I think I'll go back to sleep!
i like 'hackney in winter' but the one u have at the mo works well too.
also think hackney winter is ok, as long it is not hackneyed winter
a
Have you sent this off yet? What caption did you decide upon from the vast number we all thought up?
yes, I ordered them a day or two ago... in the end I went with what I already had; there was no REALLY compelling reason to change, and it was simple :)
I liked all the suggestions though, so thank you all for taking the time to say something :)
xxx
Post a Comment