Thursday, November 08, 2007

The spudniks have landed!

An alert has been issued across east London, to beware of strange alien space-craft... they loiter on the tops of bus shelters, mainly along the route of the 55 bus, and should be approached with caution.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

While travelling on the upstairs of London buses recently I noticed quite a few unusual items on the top of bus shelters but never a spudnik. How did you happen to see them and where do they come from?

Anonymous said...

are they real nails?

Kathryn said...

no, Anita; they're not real nails... they're potatoes with satay sticks and cotton buds pushed through them, and painted :)

mum - I've done a bit of research (as the spudniks have been appearing, on and off, for more than two years) - and from what I can tell they're the work of a Hoxton-based artist, who just does them for fun... I saw the first ones when I was waiting for a bus; don't know how I saw them up on top; they must have been near the edge... and since then I've kept a look out, and every so often there are fresh batches
I was going to blog about them earlier, but for a while there were only the silver ones, and I like the coloured ones better :)

emilyclare said...

*chuckle* art is much more fun when it appears on top of bus shelters - or on the walls of buildings (bit a Banksy fan after we stumbled across his addition in the Tate)