Sankta Lucia, ljusklara hägring
December 13 is St Lucia's day, and as there were three Swedish people living in the house on that day, Lussekatt (saffron buns) were baked, Lucia chosen (Fran, with her lovely golden hair), and every sleeping member of the house was wakened by the candlelit procession entering their room and singing traditional songs, starting at 6am.
I was enchanted by it all, and could only sit up in bed smilingly wide-eyed, like a child, as they sang to me, but as the group left the manse to sing to Chris and the children in the house across the road, I managed to grab one shot. Initially I was disappointed that it wasn't clearer, but I've come to like it very much.

3 comments:
were those candles on her head? and it looks like a gorilla's mask being held behind her back...? very interesting photo
love from bangkok. see u soon
we celebrate Santa Lucia day too.. but with something called Cucciá, which is a traditional Sicilian dish containing boiled wheat berries.. my mom adds chocolate and it's more like a thin pudding..
and I once dressed up like St Lucy (patron saint of eyes) for extra credit in Religion class.. ;)
I once dated a Swedish guy (1999) and he gave me a big picture book of Sweden. In it were a few pictures of St Lucia day. Since then (for 9 yrs) I have always wanted to go to Sweden for it. It looked so beautiful.
Post a Comment