The Leaden Echo
.
HOW to kéep -- is there ány any, is there none such, nowhere known some, bow or brooch or braid or brace, láce, latch or catch or key to keep
Back beauty, keep it, beauty, beauty, beauty, ... from vanishing away?
Ó is there no frowning of these wrinkles, rankéd wrinkles deep,
Dówn? no waving off of these most mournful messengers, still messengers, sad and stealing messengers of grey?
No there's none, there's none, O no there's none,
Nor can you long be, what you now are, called fair,
Do what you may do, what, do what you may,
And wisdom is early to despair:
Be beginning; since, no, nothing can be done
To keep at bay
Age and age's evils, hoar hair,
Ruck and wrinkle, drooping, dying, death's worst, winding sheets, tombs and worms and tumbling to decay;
So be beginning, be beginning to despair.
O there's none; no no no there's none:
Be beginning to despair, to despair,
Despair, despair, despair, despair.

2 comments:
Hi Kathryn!
you don't know me - i'm tom's sister - your photos are amazing, and i love gerard manley hopkins, so here i am commenting on your blog having never met. at least i don;t think we have. were you at tom and anita's wedding? if so, i gave the toast at their reception.
hope you get lots of great, refreshing sleep, and that the balance between your two jobs works out really well.
Hi Megs!
Thank you so much for your comments... I'm glad you like the photos, and the poem. Hopkins is my favourite poet, and I wanted something of his to go with that lovely wistful stone girl...
I'm not sure if we've met; I was at the wedding, and remember the toast, but that doesn't quite constitute a meeting as such... are you the Megan who recently got married? I think I saw some photos of your wedding on Tom and Anita's blog.
Slept really well last night! and, wonder of wonders, went out for a run this morning, and as a result am feeling on top of the world... we'll see how long I can keep that up ;)
xx
Post a Comment