Sunday, October 22, 2006

I must go down to the sea again



to the lonely sea

and the sky



and all I ask is a tall ship

and a star to steer her by


and the wheel's kick


and the wind's song


and the white sail's shaking


and a grey mist on the sea's face


and a grey dawn breaking


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In late September, I went down to Portsmouth, on the south coast, for work. It was an evening engagement, so I booked a room in a lovely B&B with a yellow door, in Old Portsmouth, and stayed for another day or so.




Of course the day before my visit, and the day I had to leave, were bright and sunny and clear, and the one full day I had to spend was squally and overcast, but in some ways that was even more appropriate for exploring a coastal town, and after a leisurely breakfast in the Georgian dining room of my accommodation, I set out to look around the old town.

I think 'Spice Island' can only be matched by 'Isle of Dogs' for evocative names



Stumbling across this monument - there's a matching one somewhere in Sydney, apparently - gave me shivers... I think it was the wording: A Great Nation was Born... and so we were

The old town is quite small and compact, but very interesting for all that; there's all manner of steps and ramparts and views out to sea; some of them are old fortifications and some less warlike, but they twist and wind along the water's edge for miles, affording glimpses of water and masts and boats where you sometimes least expect them.

A bit too modern, but somehow still Swallows and Amazons

Portsmouth's main claim to fame is the Historic Dockyard; there are various museums and information centres housed within it, but the most exciting exhibits are the ships - Nelson's Victory, on which he was shot and died during the Battle of Trafalgar; HMS Warrior, a Victorian armoured battleship propelled by both sails and steam; and the Mary Rose, the Elizabethan warship that sank off Portsmouth in 1545, and was reclaimed partially intact, and with thousands of artefacts still on board, in the 1980s. I loved them all, but my favourite was the Victory.









The deck where Nelson was shot

We weren't supposed to take photos on board, but I had to get this one of the dining room



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *




Can you imagine the cannons waltzing and twirling stiffly on their rails?



Just possibly, the lesser of two weevils




* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Mary Rose, in a hothouse of preserving fluid, constantly pouring over her... it was like seeing her still in the depths of the sea

The morning I had to leave was absolutely gorgeous; I went out for a walk before breakfast and saw the sun rising; it was stunning. I climbed over the fence into the Garrison Church yard to take these photos - the unusual view is due to the missing roof, which was lost during a bombing raid in World War II.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

let's go down to the sea one day soon

Anonymous said...

incredible! will you let me come along next time you go down to the sea?

I stumbled across the plaque marking the leaving for Australia on my way to Brittany once.......it reminded me of this song


Your seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
Dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone


[verse]
You're still so young to travel so far
Old enough to know who you are
Wise enough to carry the scars
Without any blame, there's no-one to blame

It's easy to forget what you learnt
Waiting for the thrill to return
Feeling your desire burn
And drawn to the flame

Anonymous said...

To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying,
The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying.
West, west away, the round sun is falling.
Grey ship, grey ship, do you hear them calling.
The voices of my people that have gone before me?
I will leave, I will leave the woods that bore me;
For our days are ending and our years failing.
I will pass the wide waters lonely sailing.
Long are the waves on the Last Shore falling,
Sweet are the voices in the Lost Isle calling,
In Eressëa, in Elvenhome that no man can discover,
Where the leaves fall not: land of my people for ever!'

Then Elrond and Galadriel rode on; for the Third Age was over ..... Then Frodo kissed Merry and Pippin, and last of all Sam, and went aboard; and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew, and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost. And the ship went out into the High sea and passed on into the west ....

*sigh*

Kathryn said...

ohhhhhhhhh

*sighing too*

I love when people are inspired to quotes of their own :D

and Anita and Sharon - I would LOVE to go down to the sea with both of you; let's discuss where we'd like to go :D

Anonymous said...

Well! With all with the most soul stirring water images now quoted I'm left with the more mundane - perhaps not in the same league as Masefield and Tolkein but charming nonetheless...

"Is it as nice as all that?" asked the Mole shyly.....
"Nice? It's the only thing" said the Water Rat solemnly as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

And there's always the one that is seen on the back window of so many cars - "I'd rather be sailing!"

Anonymous said...

LOL!
"The lesser of two weevils...." I loved that line. :D