Tuesday, June 20, 2006

This northern sky

The sky is the daily bread of the eyes.

.
Lord, I have loved Your sky,

Be it said against or for me,

Have loved it clear and high,

Or low and stormy

.

To see the Summer Sky Is Poetry, though never in a Book it lie -

.

Glory be to God for dappled things

for skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow

.

Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky


.
From far, from eve and morning

And yon twelve-winded sky,

The stuff of life to knit me

Blew hither: here am I.

.

It is deep January. The sky is hard. The stalks are firmly rooted in ice.

.

I turned and looked back up at the sky,

Where we still look to ask the why

Of everything below.

.

The sky is torn across

This ragged anniversary

.

The gossiping of friendly spheres,

The creaking of the tented sky,

The ticking of Eternity.

.

Let us go then, you and I,

When the evening is spread out against the sky

Like a patient etherized upon a table

.

The sky is silent too,

Hard as granite and as fixed as fate.

.

And over all the sky — the sky! far, far out of reach, studded, breaking out, the eternal stars.

.

Slowly the night blooms, unfurling

Flowers of darkness, covering

The trellised sky, becoming

A bouquet of blackness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes... what she said. Wow.

I've even seen many of these shots before; it didn't change the impact of the thing as a whole. That very first one especially is a complete stunner. And you remain unequalled in your ability to sew them into a coherent whole.

D.
xx

Anonymous said...

The sky could be described as water vapour and coloured air - so why does this daily bread for the eyes bring so much satisfaction to the soul?

Thank you for reminding us to keep looking up.

Anonymous said...

The quotes make the difference between good and great. I would love to know where/who they came from.

(Incidentally, and nothing you can probably do about it, but none of the quotes after the first appear in Safari, though they are OK in Firefox. I know you know, but others with Macs may not realise what they are missing.)

Kathryn said...

thank you, dada :D
weird how that happens sometimes... glad you can see them all now

and as your wish is my command...

"The sky is the daily bread of the eyes" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Lord, I have loved your sky..." - Robert Frost

"To see the Summer Sky is Poetry..." - Emily Dickinson

"Glory be to God for dappled things" - the one, the only, the inimitable Gerard Manley Hopkins

"Ring out, wild bells" - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"From far, from eve and morning..." - A E Housman

"It is deep January..." - Wallace Stevens

"I turned and looked..." - Robert Frost (he liked the sky, it seems, as well as roads and yellow woods ;))

"The sky is torn across" - Dylan Thomas

"The gossiping of friendly spheres..." - Edna St Vincent Millay

"Let us go then..." - I don't think I REALLY need to identify this, especially to you... but in case someone else needs it, it's T S Eliot, from The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock, one of my favourite poems :)

"The sky is silent too" - Philip Larkin

"And over all the sky" - Walt Whitman

"Slowly the night blooms" - Frank Marshall Davis

:D