Scrapbook: The Alhambra
In August I fulfilled a dream: I spent four days in Granada, Spain, and visited the ancient citadel of the Alhambra, with its palaces and gardens. The town was fascinating and beautiful as well - more on that another time - but the only reason for the visit was the Alhambra; ever since seeing photos, when I was still at school, of its water gardens, and hearing
little bits of its history, I had wanted to go, so when I had the opportunity (well - made the opportunity ;) ), I took it.Having heard horror stories about day-long queues, I had booked my ticket ahead of time, and caught one of the first buses up the hill, while it was still relatively cool, but I still only made it into the second group allowed into the Nasrid Palaces. I spent some time wandering in the gardens beforehand,
discovering beautiful places of calm and quiet and long early morning shadows and the sound of plashing water. When it was finally my turn to walk down that shadowed entrance way and through the ancient doors I found I had tears in my eyes, and had to laugh at myself to banish them. 


The Courtyard of Lindaraja, on the left, is shady and cool; the Courtyard of the Lions, below, is one of the most famous areas within the Nasrid Palaces, and still contains the original lion fountain. The slender pillars at one end, holding aloft the stone canopy which shades the shallow channels of water, reminded me of a grove of palm trees.


After leaving the Nasrid Palaces one comes out into the Partal; gardens and pools arranged on many levels, overlooking the city below. By the time I entered the Partal it was the middle of the day and very warm - over forty degrees - but it was still a pleasant place to wander, and everywhere, everywhere, the restful sight and sound of water.
I
then left this part of the complex, and walked over to the Generalife, a summer palace and retreat of the court. I hadn't known it, but this was what I had been waiting so long to see - one of the water gardens there was instantly recognisable as the one in the photograph that I had seen when I was twelve.
The gardens of the Generalife are so beautiful as to
be indescribable. I can tell you what they look like; show you photos - my best photos, chosen from the multitude I took that day - but it will still not come close to the beauty of those gardens.


I'm going back to the Alhambra one day.










4 comments:
There is only one thing to say about this.... SWOON!!!
When you go back take me with you -PLEASE!
I still cannot get over how you managed to snag so many of these shots with nobody in them. (or, virtually nobody, anyway ;) )
It's an amazing simulation of having had the place all to yourself... which, I suppose, would have been the only way to make the day better. *grin*
*grinning back*
all too true :D
it's funny; looking at the photos now, that illusion is almost created in my mind as well; it's only with effort that I remember the crowds and CROWDS of people, and the rather lengthy waits I had on some occasions to get the shot (almost ;)) the way I wanted... all of which has interesting implications about the precise nature of memory ;)
Oh, gad yes; memory's almost infinitely malleable like that. It's only with the strictest of controls that I can make my self correctly recall, from seventeen years ago, driving around roundabouts there in England clockwise. They always want to flip over to our way. :D
Post a Comment