Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Elegy in a London Churchyard

Hurrying to Moorgate one early morning last week, I couldn't help but stop for a moment in Bunhill Fields, which, in the spring mists, could have been anywhere in space or time...



5 comments:

unkleE said...

Moorgate? Bunhill Fields? Why haven't I heard of these places? Where are they? Why were you hurrying there? Why wasn't I with you? We need more information. We need magical stories. We need a map. We need tickets (plane and bus) to get there! : )

Kathryn said...

:lol:
you HAVE heard of Bunhill Fields, because I blogged on it once before... William Blake is buried there, and Mr Pilgrims Progress, and a whole lot more nonconformists... go here for more info: http://kathryninlondon.blogspot.com/2005/10/monday-bunhill-fields.html
;)

as for Moorgate - it's almost directly south from Old Street (where the JDC office is), and has a tube station which is on the Circle / Hammersmith and City / Metropolitan Line, which is a direct line to Baker Street, where I need to go if I'm going to the Jones'... so I might walk down there from JDC, or if I've been forced to get the 55 bus via Old Street, rather than one which would take me straight to Liverpool Street (as I had been on the day I took those photos) I might be walking for that reason ;)

as for a map - if you haven't already googled it, and found everything you need to know, you're not the unkle e I think you are ;)

Anonymous said...

I just love the colours of this churchyard - they are so subtle and beautiful.

unkleE said...

Technicalities! : )

Yes, I do vaguely recall the Bunhill Fields cemetery post, now I look at it again - but that was a lifetime ago! Isn't it amazing how such "rural" (in a sense) areas can exist in the centre of a big city where just about everything else has been redeveloped. Like the Jewish cemetery in Prague. I guess cemeteries have lots of value!

And, actually, I had been too lazy and too busy and too distracted to look up Moorgate on Google maps, but I have rectified that out-of-character action and repented deeply! : )

Yes both are not far away from places I am now familiar with, such as Liverpool St station, which is on the main Hackney-city bus route that we used.

Thanks, but you didn't answer the most important (though not asked explicitly) question of all - when are we going there??????

Anonymous said...

wonderful pix kathryn