Sunday, February 19, 2006

Two Ex-Pats

Well, the two ex-pats of Lansdowne Drive celebrated Australia Day in fine style... the flag, which I had spent such pains to find for last year, was brought out with all due ceremony, and hung from the study window (the thumb I crushed between the sashes seemed a small price to pay for such a great looking declaration of 'Aussies live here!'), and, also continuing a tradition begun in 2005, Bron and I made ANZAC Biscuits. Last year they were all for us, but this year Bron decided to win over the grad students of the London School of Economics, where she was due to give a two hour lecture, with more than just witty banter...
The biscuits went down a treat, by all reports, and there were still plenty left for us, as we'd doubled the mixture. Unfortunately no photos exist of our own celebrations, which began in The Dove and moved to Buen Ayre for steak, wine and MUCH conversation and laughter, but I'm sure you can imagine how much fun we had.
.
I know it's late, but still: Happy Australia Day!!
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was beginning to think that
"the love of field and coppice
of green and shaded lanes
of ordered woods and gardens
was running in your veins...."

but on 26th January it just HAS to be
"I love a sunburnt country
a land of sweeping plains..."
You can take the girl out of Oz but you can't take the Oz out of the girl! On Ya!!

baker st jones said...

maybe you can make anzacs next i come round? yum