'ackney and the East End

All righty then, what else is interesting...? Broadway Market is right there too; you can see how close it is... pretty much the whole of its short length is used for the market on Saturday. There are some great restaurants there - our brilliant pub (more like a tavern), The Dove, which sells the only type of beer I enjoy (Belgian fruit beers) along with a damn fine menu, ranging from ostrich burgers through Thai dishes to a pint of chips (truly! they're served in a pint glass) to sticky toffee pudding; the Argentine restaurant, Buen Ayre, with the open grill which needed special approval from the fire department (Buen Ayre will be having its first birthday next month! that's gone so fast); Mediterranean Cilicia,
with the beautiful gourds hung under the ceiling, all studded with coloured beads and glowing with gentle light... it's so beautiful in there... and of course don't forget F. Cooke, Live Eel Importer, trading from the same premises for almost a hundred years, and a classic example of an East End pie and mash shop, from the menu to the wooden benches and tables and the sawdust scattered daily on the floor... We walk down Broadway Market to get to Hackney Road and Columbia Road - if you use the green arrow at the bottom of the map to scroll down you'll see Goldsmith's Row (love that name), that links the two, and you can scroll westwards a little to see the rest of that area. You cross Regent's Canal at the end of Broadway Market - if you look to the north, you can see the fully-functioning lock gate, and if you go south-ish, and follow the tow path, you come round to Victoria Park.Then there's Hackney Central, to the north east of London Fields - I usually walk from home if I'm going over there, but if I want to catch a bus I walk out along Westgate Street to Mare Street - buses to Bethnal Green tube station go south from there, so I have to cross the road, and buses into Hackney Central or beyond to Clapton or wherever go north up Mare Street. But walking is so much nicer - I cross the park, coming out on Martello Street in the north-eastern corner, and then go along the footpaths parallel to the main road, to the library (in Reading Lane, appropriately enough), past the town hall and the 'Ackney Empire (a WONDERFUL old music hall, in the old
tradition; I've only been inside it once, but it was just amazing, with boxes and velvet and ornate plasterwork over the stage and so on)
and bus road (interesting combination, I know), with more shops (the Pound Shop! source of many bargains), and the lovely 12th century church tower, right in amongst all the buildings... there's a lovely old graveyard there too, in off the street, and when I was over there in spring there was
a gorgeous cheeky squirrel who came out and posed for the camera; he was very sweet. I walk right up that part of Mare Street on my way to church... (for those interested in finishing the journey - I'm looking at you, dad - I then turn right onto Lower Clapton Road, go left when it does, and the church is right there on the corner of Lower Clapton Road and Powerscroft Road).








8 comments:
you have found the beauty in another part of London and framed it perfectly.....wish i had your eye. xxxx
*sigh*
Who wants to go to 'ackney?
I do, I do!
I do, I do too!
Kathryn, all of this is interesting and beautiful but F Cooke and his eels and Regent's Canal and the narrow boat are just a standout! Do you think you could be the next Bill Bryson?
BTW Dave, nothing to forgive. I'm just glad that my first attempt at blogging seems to be somewhat successful!
The above comment was really me but I forgot to write my name - not so successful after all!
I must be successful in my third try - Yes!
"A blog without a map is like dying without ever having played chess, and won." Abraham Lincoln said that.
"It's a shadowy world, skies are slippery grey. A blog gave birth to a map today, or at least a link." Bob Dylan said that (more or less).
"Now you've mentioned me in your blog, I'll mention me in your blog also." I said that.
(With no apologies to Bob Dylan's "Talking World War Three Blues", or anyone else for that matter.)
"Now I can have a map in my head - and an aerial photo too!" Viva maps!
Maybe we should now apologise for being your parents!
not at ALL :D :D :D
you made me laugh out loud here in the school library; not bad going ;)
you especially, dad; those quotes had me in kinks :D :D :lol:
thank you all, for compliments; it's lovely to know people are enjoying it... I'm having a great time putting it all together. And yes, mama; I thought you'd like F Cooke... I STILL haven't been in for hot and jellied eels, but I am going to, before the winter's over. And I hope you noticed the bus on Cambridge Heath Road in the background of that barge shot - I thought the combination was just too good to miss :)
Post a Comment